Dolphin Dreams

Cait and Basa

A couple of years back, Cait was facing some difficult changes. No amount of putting a happy face on how it would all work out made a dent. She was focused on the loss and the feeling that she couldn’t control what was happening to her. I watched my happy-go-lucky, optimistic daughter turn into a despondent worrier.

Having spent my professional adulthood looking deeply into people’s lives, I fully understood how, sometimes, it only took one life event to cause a sea change in one’s world view. A feeling of powerlessness wasn’t a belief I wanted my daughter internalizing.

As adults, we all know the expression “Attitude is everything” is an […]

By |2019-06-07T22:46:56-04:00August 25th, 2006|.Cait and Me, .My Favorites|4 Comments

If I were King, Sending Chain Letter Emails…

…would be punishable by Slow Dial-Up.

We’d all agree that spam is an annoying nuisance —a pesky swarm of e-mosquitoes dive-bombing our in-boxes. We all hate it so much that we would never knowingly forward spam to our friends. Right?

Several times a week, I get what I call “superstitious spam emails” from friends—the 21st Century version of chain letters. You know the kind: Read this little prayer, ditty, cute pics with captions, and forward it to fill-in-the-number of your friends. When you do, you’ll receive some fabulous good luck.

Does the sender really think that by simply forwarding an email to several friends they’ve somehow garnered special dispensation from the email fairies? I’d guess that’s 25% of the reason. The other 75%? […]

By |2007-02-03T22:51:04-05:00August 24th, 2006|Life|61 Comments

My Garden Swans

My Garden Swans

I started my first garden when I was twelve; I went out to the back field and dug myself up a quarter acre. I’ve rarely missed a summer since. I do some of my best thinking digging in the dirt.

This picture is of two of my garlic plants nuzzling each other. Aren’t they beautiful!

By |2016-10-24T09:57:03-04:00August 24th, 2006|My Garden / Recipes|1 Comment

What’s it all about, Alfie?

When Caitlin was little, she liked to use me as her personal jungle-gym. She still loves to sit on my lap and cuddle, but lately I’ve been telling her she’s getting too big and the weight of her is starting to hurt my legs. I make her sit next to me instead.

When Kiera was little, she liked to lean against me, and use my feet as her personal head-rest. As she’s grown, she’s gotten into the habit of lying on my feet whenever they stop moving. Lately, I’ve been telling her to move, especially when I’m trying to work in the kitchen and she’s right underfoot. I worry about accidentally stepping on her.

When Graidy wants to love me up, he […]

By |2016-10-24T09:57:03-04:00August 23rd, 2006|Life|1 Comment

Aha Training Moment with the Help of Visualization

When I’m training, I’m always thinking about why Kiera does or doesn’t do what she does. I’m always trying to see if I can understand it from where she is and go from there. For example, once upon a time, I wasn’t having any luck getting Kiera to remain calm when people came over to our house. Whenever someone would arrive, Kiera would go into overdrive to make sure everyone in the house was safe for posterity. I’d tried the “go to your place”, having visitors throw treats, yadda, yadda, yadda. No real reliable improvement. I was thinking that I was just going to have to always manage the situation. I don’t know what made me try the visualization approach, […]

By |2016-10-24T09:57:03-04:00August 22nd, 2006|.My Dogs and Me, Dog Training|1 Comment

10 Great Reasons to Have a Dog

Yesterday, I had the good fun of speaking with a terrific group of kids who were spending their week at Mahogany Ridge KidsCamp. It’s a camp where kids and their dogs get to play and learn together. Theresa Richmond, the camp director and trainer, (whom some of you may remember from Dogs of Dreamtime) invited me to give a talk on what it’s like to write about dogs.

As with training dogs, writing about dogs is best learned by doing. So the kids worked on an article together entitled “10 Great Reasons to Have a Dog.” First, each child wrote down their reasons, and then we added up how many of those sentiments were shared by others.

What follows is the tally […]

By |2016-10-24T09:57:03-04:00August 17th, 2006|Dogs in General, On Writing|65 Comments
Go to Top